Alyssa Richard, Operations Coordinator, for Laraway's Backpack Program had an idea. She asked staff to share some of their favorite recipes and she created a recipe book for client families. Her colleagues answered the call and Backpack's first cookbook is being sent home to families along with Holiday Baskets chock full of holiday treats, gift certificates and hats, gloves and mittens. Backpack staff solicit donations for these baskets each year from area businesses. Thank you donors! Thank you staff! Thank you, Alyssa, for your really cool idea!
We share two of the recipes below:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 1/2-inch sized pieces. In a medium bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, cheese, salt, thyme and basil. Mix well. Put melted butter in a bowl or dish for dipping.
- Dip chicken pieces into the melted butter first, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place the well-coated chicken pieces on a lightly greased cookie sheet in a single layer, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Split biscuits in half. Place 2 halves on each of 8 plates; top with about 1/3 cup gravy.