Monday, March 11, 2019

Kandi Marlow: Celebrating Professional Social Worker Month




March is National Professional Social Work Month. Please enjoy this blog posting from Kandi Marlow, MSW, a Program Manager at Laraway Youth & Family Services.


The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain 
Until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life.”
~Jane Addams


I chose this quote because Social Work is the most flexible practice you can choose if you wish to inspire and make change within the world. Jane Addams was an original Pioneer for Social Work.  She remains one of the most famous and decorated female Social Workers. Jane Addams inspired and created the practice in which I get to work. When asked what I value and enjoy about this work, I would reply with the gratitude I feel for all the great work done by strong women before me. They created the path on which I am privileged to walk in this field of Social Work.  
Social Work month is not only about recognizing individual Social Workers but, also, about recognizing the field of practice and the invaluable contributions of the profession. Every day, over 680,000 social workers across the United States, serve some of the most vulnerable in our society by empowering and elevating them. I believe Social Workers are superheroes who use their superpowers to create not only change but, also, to give voice to the voiceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment