Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Laralympics: Let the games begin!

     It's been far colder in Johnson than Sochi, Russia, host of the 2014 Winter Olympics.  Laraway's own celebration of the Olympics---Laralympics---is a 4-day extravaganza at Laraway School complete with inspirational speeches, classroom learning, athletic events and special internationally-themed lunches in our cafeteria.
     Marc Gilbertson, a cross country skier who was a member of the United States Olympic Team in Nagano, Japan in 1998, served as guest speaker at our opening ceremony on a chilly Monday morning.  Gilbertson challenged students to follow their bliss, strive to minimize regrets, and find the courage to take the first step towards their goals. 
     Students formed four teams representing nations at the Olympics: Russia, Norway, Germany and China.  They learned about the geography and history of their respective nations and made flags and t-shirts.  We started with a relay race which included stops along the way for tasty chicken wings and chocolates.  Snow events include snowman building and creating snow angels.  Our new ice rink will host curling and skating competitions.
     Interesting ethnic aromas emanate for Laraway's cafeteria.  From egg rolls to potato pancakes to bratwurst to pierogies...our kids and staff are eating like international Olympians!



  

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. สล็อตออนไลน์ มือถือ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. شحن شدات ببجي

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. pc kaufen

    ReplyDelete