Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Backpack...helping hands, healing hearts

     I ran across an interesting metaphor yesterday during an activity in the classroom.  Mrs. C. gave everyone a paper heart and told the class that they represented their hearts.  She took her own paper heart and crumpled a piece of it as she gave a pretend example of someone being disrespectful to her.  She crumpled another piece as she gave another example of someone making a rude comment.  She explained that this can be how your heart feels when someone does something to you that is not nice.  She then flattened it out and gave examples of apologies that can fluff a heart back up.  She then noted the crinkles that were still there.
     M followed along with the activity and then tore a piece of his heart.  A minute later I looked over and the tear became a missing piece of his heart.  I thought I'd metaphorically offer him a piece of tape and wondered how much help he may need using the piece of tape that I had offered.  I showed him the piece of tape.  He kind of looked at it, so I told him he could fix his heart with it.  What happened next was more metaphorical.  an I had thought this simple act could have been.  M said, "I don't know where the piece to my heart went." I helped him look for the missing piece to his heart.  It was nowhere to be found in that moment.  We haven't found it yet, but I'm sure M will be able to repair it in time.
 
Contributor:  Alan McGrath, Behavioral Interventionist, Laraway Backpack Program

 

2 comments:

  1. Rucksacks additionally accompany a variety of compartments. In the event that you go on a more drawn out climbing trip you might need to have a compartment for a handheld gps, or for your phone that is effectively available. Kawaii store

    ReplyDelete
  2. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. a course in miracles soundcloud

    ReplyDelete